Sunday, October 30, 2016

A City Girl living on a Turkey Farm by Rebekah Walton







Despite the fact that my coworkers and boss (at the movie theater) joke about me having weird ideas about life because I am ''just a farm girl'' and am not living in the real world, I have only living on a Turkey Farm for about two years, and it has not affected my life so much to change my views of the world.

(Previously, I use to live in the city of Seattle for nine years of my life until I moved into the suburbs of Renton for 3 years and then moved to Texas and lived in a campground for six months. After the campground my parents bout a motor home and we lived in that, until some friends offered we stay at their oversized shack on their farm. At that time, although we lived on a farm, we did not really have a farm and we only lived there for three years and then promptly moved to Colorado. In Colorado, we lived in suburbs once again and just two years ago bought a farm. Anyway, I will get back to this part later.)

When I lived in the city of Seattle, I guess I was not exactly the typical city girl you think of. I would listen to audiotapes of Sugar Creek Gang nearly all Saturday or any free time I had that I wasn't playing outside. I loved and still do love that series. Well, as any good fan of that series knows, you cannot get around the fact that all the main characters live on farms, and Bill Collins the main guy (who I had a crush on), talked about his farm life all the time. I wanted to live on a farm, it was my childhood dream, so to finally be able to fulfill it is a dream come true. Now, that does not mean that farm life is all fun and games. Farm life is very hard work and sometimes, you wish you did not have to do the hard work that comes with farm life. But, when you see the cute baby chicks and baby turkeys, see the toms puff up for the first time, look up and see the stars at night, hear the sounds of gobbling turkeys or pick fresh food from your garden(I love our dragon carrots) you realize why you wanted to live on a farm in the first place. I must say I love living on our farm and I am looking forward to having a barn.

Right now, since we have just recently started up our farm we have a limited number of animals and not enough buildings to get all the animals we dream of having. We have 3 cats (soon to get four, our fourth will be a Maine Coon, I can't wait.), 1 dog (she is around 17, we have had her for all years since she was a small puppy), 1 wild rabbit (our lop ear rabbit got accidently released on our farm and we can't find it, but that is another story for another time, our cats caught a wild rabbit and we saved it from them), about 150-200 birds counting chickens and turkeys (on an average day we get three dozen chicken eggs),  and 2 guard llamas (they guard the farm from foxes and neighborhood dogs). I am really hoping we can get ducks, hamsters, a horse or two (Icelandic horses are so cute!), geese, and a  hedgehog pretty soon. But, before that we need a barn, and since most farming communities (excluding Amish) have stopped having barn raising events, building a barn is going to be very hard.

Actually, if you think that is a lot of animals just wait for the number of animals we had in Seattle. We had frogs, salamanders, newts, lizards of all kinds, silk moths and worms, crickets, cats, a dog (the same dog), six chickens, 4-6 bunnies, a squirrel (for a short time), and a cockroach, a and that's all the animals I can remember I am sure we had some I am missing.  In Renton, we had 100 chickens, 6 cats, 1 dog (the same dog), and over 6 bunnies, an a iguana, and many other animals. For a short time in Colorado and Texas we had almost no animals around 3 or 4 (1 dog and 2-3 cats) but, thankfully that has changed. Personally, I love animals and could I constantly want more. When I get my own house it is going to be filled in and out with animals of some kind. The only animals I am against as pets are rats and mice. They should be food you feed to cats, snakes etc.

Yes, this farm girl may not have lived on a farm for long but she loves it and she wished she could live in the country or mountains forever. (I hate the city. I just love living out far away from everyone. My world is so much more awesome.) I even thought about living on a deserted island. You know you can actually buy your own island!

Here is footage of our farm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCTHZwifmfs&list=PLCfR_J_v5RLtXBoNJvCcxlRDFJGt4ow5q&index=3


No comments: